Parents have many questions when considering the school in which to enrol their child. Here are a few Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact the school on 02 9451 9547 or email email@example.com.
When do I need to enrol my child?
- Enrolments for Kindergarten next year are taken from the beginning of Term 2, which starts towards the end of April each year. Please consult our school calendar for exact dates.
- Applications to enrol from 'out of area' must be received by end of Week 5, Term 3, which is usually towards the end of August each year. Please consult our school calendar for exact dates.
The School Catchment Map provides the area in which students must reside to be automatically included in our enrolment.
Who can I talk to about my child starting school?
If you have any questions about your child starting school, please call the school to make an appointment to speak to the Principal or Deputy Principals.
Information Evenings, School Tours and Orientation Days
Each year we hold an Information Evening, School Tours and Orientation Days for incoming Kindergarten students and their families. We hold an evening parent information event and conduct a series of school tours. Times, dates and locations are:
- A Kindergarten Information Evening is held every year, early in Term 2. School tours for prospective parents are available for you to choose from. Please consult our school calendar for exact dates
- After the Kindergarten Information Evening, several tour dates are available. Some of these are in the morning, some in the afternoon. They are held on different days of the week, with the intention of providing you with the flexibility you may require. Tours start from the school hall. Please consult our school calendar for exact dates.
The Enrolment Form can be found on this page. Letters of acceptance for enrolment in KHPS are sent to parents towards the end of Term 3, advising of Kindergarten Orientation times and dates. Letters are also sent to families where enrolment has been unsuccessful.
Our Kindergarten Orientation days are held in November. Please look at our school calendar for November for specific dates.
When does Kindergarten start next year?
Before starting school, Kindergarten students will be allocated a half hour timeslot to complete a one-on-one Best Start Assessment with the classroom teacher during an appointment in late January or early February.
In mid-January, prior to commencing school, parents receive a letter outlining:
- the Best Start Assessment date and time for the individual student
- the Classroom start date and time for the individual student
- any required paperwork that needs to be presented.
An offer of enrolment letter is sent to families prior to Kindergarten orientation by the beginning of Term 4. This letter is usually sent in September.
How is my child's progress assessed in Kindergarten?
Children enter Kindergarten with different skills and experiences. The Best Start Kindergarten Assessment is a tool to help teachers find out each child’s skills and strengths. Teachers will sit with your child early in the school year to assess your child’s early literacy and numeracy skills so that they can develop an appropriate teaching program catered for your child. Preparation for this assessment is not appropriate.